XAML Intellisense and Visual Studio 2008
When it comes to programming/development skills, I typically learn something new by reading a book, stepping through the code (if there is any), and creating some type of custom demo which I can understand. Back in the day, I would typically use C header files (which contain function prototypes) to explore a new api. Now a days, it is even easier if I'm able to use Visual Studio's Intellisense.
So, one of the new technologies I've been learning is Silverlight. An important aspect of the Silverlight development model are .XAML files. These are XML files which contain markup for an application (eXtensible Application Markup Language). However, I was somewhat stymied in my efforts to explore XAML because Visual Studio's Intellisense wasn't working for XAML files. I think I've figured out what was wrong.
There is a lot written on the web about no intellisense for XAML files - just google it. But nothing I seemed to do worked for me, until now. For me, it wasn't that I didn't have the proper XML Editor registered. Rather it was that I had one too many schema's signed up for XAML files.
When I examined the schema's property for my XAML file, I had three schema's used: silverlight.xsd, wpfe.xsd, xaml2006.xsd. Evidently, two of these files had the same schema for the XAML intellisense. So, I did a bit more research and found out that the silverlight.xsd must have been installed as part of a Silverlight SDK. Then when Visual Studio was upgraded, it didn't need it anymore. But instead of automatically handling both schemas, Visual Studio doesn't use either one. Hence, no Intellisense for XAML files.
So, I got rid of the silverlight.xsd and did one more thing. I changed XAML files default Open With from the XML editor to the Source Code Editor. Now I have XAML Intellisense (yea!).